About

Location
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Union County

Municipality Classification
Township of the Second Class*

Total Area
15.273 square miles (9,774.6 acres)

Roads
51+ miles of Township roads
16.55 miles of State roads

Zoning Districts by Land Area Percentage
Agricultural Preservation (31.21%)
Agricultural Residential (11.32%)
Bucknell University (4.23%)
General Commercial (1.37%)
Highway Commercial (0.5%)
Industrial (1.31%)
Residential – Low Density (27.14%)
Residential – Medium Density (1.78%)
Residential – Urban (1.4%)
Woodland Preservation (19.74%)

 

U.S. Census Bureau Community Facts (2000)
Population: 6,414
Population Density: 414 per square mile
Housing Units: 2,154
Median Household Income: $68,533
Percent High School Graduate or Higher: 98%
Number of Companies: 466

Census Designated Place
Linntown

West Branch Susquehanna River Tributaries
Limestone Run (a.k.a. Bull Run)
Miller Run
Turtle Creek

National Register of Historic Places
Lewisburg Armory
Added to Registry: November 14, 1991

Education
Public School: Lewisburg Area School District
Postsecondary: Bucknell University

* A Pennsylvania municipality is a city, township, borough or town. Each type of municipality is classified according to population density. A Township of the Second Class has a population density of less than 300 persons per square mile.


History of East Buffalo Township**
1772

  • March 21: Northumberland County was erected out of parts of Berks, Bedford, Lancaster, Cumberland, and Northampton Counties.
  • April 9: Northumberland County was divided into seven townships: Penn’s, Augusta, Turbutt, Buffalo, Bald Eagle, Muncy, and Wyoming.

1776

  • February: White Deer Township was set off from Buffalo Township.

1792

  • January: East and West Buffalo Townships were erected.

1813

  • March 22: Union County was erected out of Northumberland County. The act went into effect after November 1st. The Governor appointed the first County Commissions, who were charged with determining the locality of the County seat.

1845

  • August 27: Camp Potter was organized on the farm of James F. Linn, in East Buffalo Township. Two troops and three foot companies were led by General James Potter.

1846

  • February 5: The University at Lewisburg, now Bucknell University, was established.

1853

  • November 13: The Union County Agricultural Society was formed at the urging of the East Buffalo society, which had been in existence for a year.

**Source: Annals of Buffalo Valley, Pennsylvania, 1755 – 1855, Collated by John Blair Lynn